The keyword is a vital aspect of content both from user and search engine’s perspective. Without it, a level of understanding about your site may decline among the users. That is, they will not be able to comprehend what your site is all about in one glance. Besides, Keywords are important for getting your site indexed in the search results. If any visitor types a word or phrase and your site is compatible with it, it gets shown in the search engine result page.
Since the keywords are essential for the search results, their optimization is also necessary. If you are to start writing content for your new website, then you have to do some research on the right keywords for the content and about the products and services you are offering. There is a method to do that:
- Check out the demand for your product - Which keywords were searched the most times by the users to get to your website? What other secondary keywords are being used to discover your product or service? The trio of Google webmaster tool, Google adwords tool and Google analytics helps answer these questions to a large extent.
- There are keyword explorer sites/tools for researching the words. They assist in figuring out the volume of the keywords searched for in a month and which ones are in trend at present.
- Keep track of the competitors by using tools such as SEMRush and Spyfu. They will keep you in the know of the keywords being used by your competitors.
On completing this list of work start with the following:
1. Create a list: Think of the content headings you want to include on your site. Then start making a chart of the keywords you find relevant to your business. These words might occur quite frequently in your content or might be a part of sales talk or might be attractive from a customer’s point of view. For example, in a business of beads, following broad keywords will make the list:
Colour, beads, acrylic, porcelain, wood, charms, threads, wire
The list above is of the variety of beads available on the site termed as ‘broad keywords’. If we move to the specifics, the colours will have variant in them(red, blue, green, orange, etc.), beads will also have options around their shapes (circle, square, triangle, etc.) and so on.
2. Long tail keywords: The broad terms get lots of hits. But if there are finer points included in the long-tail keyword diction, the hits will be less, but the visitors’ intent for buying the product or service becomes apparent. These are typically called transactional keyphrases.
Think of an intent in order to discover such transactional key phrases. For example, if you are a PPC company then you can have words such as:
PPC company in India
How useful is a PPC campaign?
What are PPC services?
And the list goes on. There are questions added in a conversational style to make the searches more efficient and productive. Adding such query in your list of content will help in the search engine discovery.
3. Keyword planner tools: The last thing to end your research with is to use keyword tools. Many websites offer their services either for free or for a reasonable subscription fee to help you plan out the keywords you can use. It will help you short-list the index of the keywords you had initially created. Sites such as:
a) Google Adwords
b) Keyword Explorer by Moz.com
c) Bing Ads Explorer tool
d) Keyword tool by word stream
These websites create a statistical data collated from the historical search trends from various sources. Users can make use of this information to discover and create better keyword analysis for search engine optimization. This information can also be further used to decide an optimum bid on the keywords.
To Summarize, always give a careful thought to research proper keywords for your website and advertisement. The web page must be optimized and checked for right keyword density and the relevance of the content. Also keep a list of negative keywords handy to avoid getting your ads displayed for irrelevant searches.