GTM (Google Tag Manager) is google's free to use tag management system that conveniently integrates the company's other digital tools, such as AdWords, Double click and trusted stores.
What is Tag management system? Let's learn more about it with the help of Google analytics management These tags are snippets of code that sit on the head or the body elements of a website, it only enables the tracking, analyzing and reporting. This software of tag management system allows the installation of several tags to enclose all the containers. It replaces the code snippets by the tag management system.
What does Tag manager allow us to do?
It enables the webmaster to give a particular set of permission to a specific set of users to access various segments of the network. And for the merchant, it permits to decide when these tags should be fired dependant on certain conditions (triggers) defined by the user. It also gives you permission to track the events within the analytics, such as form submissions. More than that you can adjust the activities and record them till you meet an appropriate trigger. You can perform the simple steps on each level but it is beneficial for your business to opt for Google analytics consulting services to get better results.
Primary Structure of Google Tag Manager
It asks to fix the tags, triggers and variables among them. It also settles various versions of these containers at higher levels. Let' learn the essential steps to begin the process of tag management easily.
- At first sign in at the Google Tag Manager, if it's the first time then follow the instructions and enter the account name (that is the name of your organization).
- Enter your domain name in the section of Container name and choose the destination where you want to use your container- whether on the desktop version of the website or iOS or the Android.
- Create the account from the Create button. It will take you to the screen asking you to add the container code onto every page of your website.
- You can add this code by using your content management system by editing one of the template files. At this step, you have to insert the Google Tag Manager code snippet immediately just after opening the body tag.
- It is good to clear this level with the help of a developer or go for the Google analytics consulting services, as you might need guidance to tackle the Id or class issues to event tracking.
- Add your first tag- After attaching container tag to the pages of the website, now it requires your first tag, it would be your Google Analytics snippet.
- Add new tag and select the property you wish to create a tag. If you choose Google Analytics, you have to name the tag. Then choose the type of your tag, it chooses Universal Analytics by default; depending upon the version of Google Analytics you are using.
- Then enter your Google Analytics tracking ID that is available in the Analytics dashboard. Do not access the advanced features and set the firing trigger.
- Here, you have to set the tag to fire on all pages because you want Google Analytics to be tracking one every page on your site.
The Preview & Publish Mode
Review the tags before setting them live and check whether they are firing when they are supposed to? Now comes the publishing of your container. As you know that all your tags are firing, all you need to do is click Publish. To check the working head over to the real-time report in the Google Analytics whether all your visits are recorded or not. After satisfying the firing of Google Analytics tags in a correct manner click the publish button on your Google Tag Manager console.
Advantages of a Tag management system
When you are not the developer of your site, then this idea of delving into your sites' HTML might seem like a very daunting prospect indeed. Here, the tag management enables the power to implement tracking and analysis of code snippets quickly to the website. It reduces your worry about possessing of coding skills. All you need to do is add the tag into your management dashboard, and it will appear on the pages you have assigned for the activity. This process improves the efficiency of your company and reduces dependency on the developer. Instead, you can make changes in the website on your own.