Updating your e-commerce platform can do a lot of positive things for the brand. But if you are not cautious, it can also inflict synonym on your site's authority with search engines. Here are 5 things suggested by top seo companies in india you should do to guard your SEO services and efforts during the process -
1) Be sure of what changes will occur during the site migration – Updating your e-commerce platform can introduce a wide variety of changes to the information structure amongst the other things. It is important to set a sandbox and test your database on the new platform before executing changes in the domain. Without the test implementation, you can predict all the changes the new platform will cause.
Things to include -
- Changes to menu navigation.
- Changes to breadcrumb navigation.
- Overall site hierarchy.
- URL naming conventions.
Make sure the test implementation is set as non-index. You do not want the search engines to start displaying the results from it.
2) Create a list of URLs that will implement the new site - Before the site migration, you should have a comprehensive understanding of the following -
- To construct page URLs.
- The results are different after migration.
Understanding the URL naming conventions so that there are no exceptions when you update the site.
3) Create a redirect map from your legacy site to the updated site – Use your understanding of the new URL naming convention to build rules for use in .htaccess. This will redirect all the old URLs to the new URLs after the site migration.
4) Create a list of the most authoritative pages – Use all the external link crawler you have access to create a list of all the existing pages, sortable by factors sucg as the page authority metrics and the number of inbound links. The most dominant URLs however, should not change.
It is also recommended to use Google Analytics to identify pages that have had atleast one visit from an external source. Any page that you are visiting is what you want to keep. To avoid losing search engine traffic, make sure to preserve changes already receiving search engine traffic. Your top pages must keep their prominent status. It is important that no changes during the migration rob them of the status.
5) Measure your rankings – You can use tools such as SEMrush to collect as much data as possible on the site before the transition. Make sure to not only target the top keywords but also the data for as many pages as possible. In case you lose or gain any search engine traffic after migration, you will be able to identify where the changes happened more frequently. If you are looking for best seo services in India, visit Elixir Web Solutions now!!